Sunday, December 12, 2010

the written word

For those of you who don’t know - I read A LOT - I always have a book on the go. Back at home I was a regular at the library and try to continue this trend on the road. As mentioned I already have 2 library cards, one from Quartzsite and the other from Holtville. I am thrilled that they are happy to provide library cards (free of charge) to travelers from out of country. The added bonus is that they all seem to have large dvd collections as well. What I also like is finding books that I may not have seen before. I borrowed and just finished Karen Kingsbury Sunrise. It is the first of a 4 series set I was wanting to read. I figured that at least it had the first one and in the future I hope to come across the rest. Unfortunately, neither library has had books by Robin Lee Hatcher who is another Christian fiction writer that I love. I highly recommend both her and Karen.

Another way to get free books is through book exchanges. I happily found out about this on our last trip in 2008. Every state park we went to and many BLM areas have a book exchange somewhere. Once we park I am out scoping out the place and looking for the exchange. Here is a picture of the one here at Holtville close up and at a distance. In the distance one Derek is talking to Rose who is from Nelson, B.C. It is unique in that someone took the time to build one. Generally at the State Parks they are in rooms but out here in the desert a free standing unit is needed.

When we got here it didn’t take me long to get to the exchange - I had 2 books I had brought with me and had already finished and one last one almost completed. One of the books I picked up was Dove. Have you heard of it? I hadn’t but it is also a movie. Derek knew of it - it is about a boy of 16 who sailed around the world in 5 years - from 1965-70. I am now about 1/2 through - when I finish I will do a bit of a write up on it - I love it so far. I am quite enjoying fellow traveling stories right now between Into the Wild (on Derek’s blog) and Dove.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...